Sunday, June 10, 2012

Happy Queen's Birthday

Despite my best intentions, I've come to the conclusion that a once every 2-month blogger is about the best I'm going to achieve.  I wish I could manage once a fortnight so I could use the word fortnight more often.

Happy Queen's Birthday!  It is Monday 11 June and a public holiday.  Australia (once a British Colony and now a member of the Commonwealth of Nations) is one of many members who still celebrates this holiday.  Interestingly, the Queen's actual Birthday is 21 April, 1926 but members celebrate on different dates.  For example, New Zealand celebrated on 4 June and Western Australia celebrates in September.  Speaking of September, Father's Day is celebrated in September here.  Mother's Day was the same as the US Mother's Day.  (Did you notice how I'm writing my dates?  That's just one of many differences we're getting accustomed to.)

It is raining here in SHEETS and SHEETS!  I have never seen anything like it.  The rain will fall just straight down at a steady, constant volume for days.  It's not like at home where it might rain for a couple of hours and then break for sun and rainbows.  Or rain during a thunderstorm with winds whipping it around.  It is also winter ~ the winter months are June, July and August.  The coldest it's been since we've arrived is probably low 40's but we're accustomed to central heat and a thermostat.  Many homes here don't have that, and our heat comes from these little portable gas heaters that heat the room they are in and not the whole house.  Will tell you more about houses in the next post ...

No comments:

Post a Comment